Some of the best (legitimate) things you can do on a psych ward:
- Nurse dodging – avoiding that PITA nurse to whom you’ve been assigned. Not recommended for long periods.
- Room squatting – taking over an interview room for your own private conversations. Particularly useful if you’re in a shared room and want some private space for laughing with a friend. Slightly embarrassing if you get busted by the Boss and have to relinquish the room for legitimate use.
- Problem puzzling – putting an impossible 9-letter square on the common whiteboard, one that doesn’t actually make a 9-letter word. Anonymity a must.
- Playing doctor – definitely an “inside your own head” game, for your own amusement only. How many diagnoses can you make?
- Group therapy survival techniques – adopting a meaningful expression and gazing thoughtfully into the middle distance; counting down from 100 by sevens, or if that’s not going to take long enough, 1000; silently listing each species of insect you can think of. Or else, of course, there is the alternative of actually participating.
- Guess the meal – especially fun if a menu is posted. Which meal matches which description?
How else do you lighten up your time in hospital? And no, comments promoting unlawful behaviour will not be approved – sorry! 🙂 Got a duty of care here folks!